ESC11 Final Exam Review
Final Exam Prep:
Scroll down this page for the outline of the exam. Download the review below for more information on the written response questions and sample answers. (Note: The number of multiple choice questions may vary.)
- GO TO http://www.learnnowbc.ca/services/tutoring/default.aspx
- Use the same login and password you created for your DPA Tracker or create an account.
- Choose "Study Centre" then "Online Tutoring". Click the BLUE check mark beside EARTH SCIENCE 11 under "Success Checker".
ESC11 Final Exam Review - OUTLINE
The final exam for this course consists of two parts:
PART A: Written Response = 30 marks
PART B: Multiple Choice = 100 -120 marks
WRITTEN RESPONSE QUESTIONS (30 marks)
NOTE: All topics are equal in value (5 marks each).
Choose 6 of the 24 topics listed below and prepare an answer in paragraph form. Choose one from each section. Diagrams may be included to assist the explanation but cannot replace the explanation. See your teacher for a copy of sample answers or download and print a copy for yourself.
1. The Protoplanet Hypothesis
2. Reflecting and Refracting Telescopes
3. The Hertzsprung-Russel Diagram
4. Hubble and the Doppler Shift
5. The Outer and Inner Planets
6. Earth's Tides
7. Weather Fronts
8. Reasons for Seasons
9. The Effect of Glaciers
10. Erosion by Water
11. Erosion by Wind
12. Soil Profiles
13. Plate Tectonics
14. The Juan de Fuca Plate and Earthquakes
15. Earthquake Measurement and Location
16. Volcanic Activity on the West Coast and its Reasons
17. Properties Used to Identify Minerals and Rocks
18. The Rock Cycle
19. The Weathering of Cleopatra's Needle
20. Eratosthenes' Measurement of the Earth
21. Classical Constellations
22. Properties of the Sun
23. Types of Galaxies
24. Types of Stars
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS(100 -120 marks)
Here are some general questions to help you study for the multiple choice portion of the exam.
1. What are the major branches of Earth Science?
2. What are the tools used by each branch of Earth Science?
3. Describe the 4 layers of the Earth.
4. What are the major divisions of the Geologic Time Scale?
5. What life forms are associated with each major division of the Geologic Time Scale?
6. What is an AU?
7. Distinguish between apparent magnitude and absolute magnitude.
8. What is "red shift"?
9. What information is represented in the H-R diagram?
10. Describe the life cycle of a star like the sun.
11. What is the Big Bang theory?
12. What is the Protoplanet hypothesis?
13. Describe some of the deep space objects like galaxies, black holes, quasars, pulsars.
14. Distinguish between inner and outer planets? "
15. Which planets are visible to the naked eye?
16. Which planets have moons?
17. Distinguish between comets, meteors, meteorites, asteroids, planetary satellites.
18. In which direction does the earth rotate?
19. Identify the phases of the moon.
20. Distinguish between high tides, spring tides, low tides, neap tides.
21. Describe the layers of the earth, from the atmosphere to the core.
22. What is a mineral?
23. What is a rock?
24. What are the physical and chemical tests used to identify rocks and minerals?
25. Describe the rock cycle.
26. How are rocks classified?
27. How does rate of cooling affect crystal size?
28. Distinguish between weathering and erosion.
29. Give an example of:
a) mechanical weathering
b) chemical weathering
c) biological weathering
30. Explain the origin and layers of soils.
31. Explain how erosion is done by:
b) running water
32. What erosional features are formed by:
b) running water
33. What depositional features are formed by:
b) running water
34. Outline evidence to support plate tectonic theory.
35. Describe the world distribution of earthquakes and volcanoes.
36. Name some major plate boundaries which are:
37. What is the driving force for plate movement?
38. What is a hotspot?
39. What are the types of volcanoes and how are each produced?
40. Explain how a seismograph works.
41. Explain how to find the epicenter of an earthquake.
42. Describe the properties and effects of P, S & L waves?
Diagrams to Know (Starworks and Regular ESC11 classes):
· Interior Structure of the Earth
· Rock Cycle
· Water (Hydrologic) Cycle
· Glaciers - Features and Deposition
· Plate Boundaries
· Plate Movements (directions, faults, folds, intrusions)
· Phases of the Moon
· Life Cycle of a Star
· Geologic Time Scale & The Tree of Life
Additional Diagrams for Regular ESC11 classes:
· Ocean Currents
· Wind Belts
· Types of Clouds
HINT: When writing your exam, take the time to check your answers carefully. Change only those answers you have recorded incorrectly. (Do not second guess your first choice. It was probably correct!)